Al-Ouwaysiyah Mosque

Al-Ouwaysiyah Mosque stands at the southern foot of the Tripoli citadel, on a hill known by “Suq el-Samaq” (fish market), in the Bab el-Hadid neighborhood. Originally built in 1416 as a small Zawiya during the Mamluk era, it was later transformed into a mosque by the governor of Tripoli in 1535 AD.  Its vast central dome, the largest in Tripoli, is a precursor of the Ottoman period style. Its minaret was added at a later date, as was the adjacent mausoleum, which was built in 1621 when Fakhreddine II captured Tripoli.

Mosque Building Landmark Religious History Mamluk Period Tripoli Tripoli District North Lebanon Spring Summer Autumn Winter Islamic Religious Tourism Sightseeing Religious tourism Historical Tourism