Ra's al-Ayn Mosque

Known as “Masjid el-Hussein,” this mosque was built in 681 AD on the ruins of an ancient Phoenician temple, the stones of which were appropriated for the mosque.

 

It was refurbished and enlarged by Mamluk Sultan el-Zaher Baybars in 1277, and features 22 columns that divide the complex into three distinct mosques, six arches, a huge mihrab, a rocky minbar, and six stone gates with traditional geometric designs.

 

A rivulet of the Ra’s el-Ain spring ran through the main frontal mosque, and was very likely used for ablutions. 

Ruins Mosque Building Landmark Religious History Mamluk Period Phoenician Period Baalbek District Baalbek City Bekaa Spring Summer Autumn Winter Islamic Religious Tourism Sightseeing Religious tourism Historical Tourism