Sidi Abdel Wahed Mosque
One of the oldest religious monuments in Tripoli, located to the east of Souq al-Attarine (the perfumers market) in the Al-Mahatirah neighborhood, the Abdel Wahed Mosque was built not by a Mamluks but by a Moroccan holy man called Abdul Wahed el-Meknasi in 1305. He was among the many Sunni Muslims who traveled to the newly-built Muslim city that had been retaken from the Crusaders, and was now to become a center of Islamic scholarship, and the engraved plaque detailing the construction of the mosque is written in naksh, a Moroccan calligraphy.
The mosque is famous for its small, elevated minaret—the first of its kind in Lebanon—as well as for its simple dome surmounting the Moroccan-style mihrab. To this day people continue to put Myrtus Communis branches on the window overlooking the road; a sort of commemoration of the dead. Above the mosque there is a corridor with several rooms in which Moroccans still live.