The Nicolas Sursock Museum is a contemporary art museum housed in an opulent 1912 Venetian Italianate Sursock family mansion on Sursock Street in Achrafieh. The museum's permanent collection includes modern art, Japanese engravings and Islamic art, comprising some 5,000 paintings, sculptures, ceramics, glassware and iconography spanning the last four centuries.
The museum was first opened to the public in 1961, and has since hosted more than 100 exhibitions of Lebanese and international art. It was closed in 2008 for major renovations and expansions and is due to reopen in October 2015 with an exhibition centered around how Beirut was represented between 1800 and 1960. The museum is also famous for its annual hosting of the Lebanese version of the Paris Salon D’Automne art show.
The renovated museum fearures four floors dug beneath the house, which include a 170-seat auditorium, a library, bookshop, an exhibition hall with skylights, temperature-controlled high-security storage spaces, a training center and a restoration atelier.
Address and Contact:
Greek Orthodox Archbishopric Street (Sursock St.)
Achrafieh 2071 5509, Beirut
The museum is located 40 meters to the left of the top of the St. Nicolas staircase, and two blocks north of and parallel to Charles Malik Highway at the Centre Sofil intersection.