Built circa 1619 by an Ottoman governor, the Takkiya al-Mawlawiyya of Tripoli is the largest of the seven takkiya (old Sufi hospices) outside Turkey. Located on the banks of the Nahr Abou Ali River, it was a primary center for Sufi Dervishes, and consists of a large inner lounge, the Sama Khana room used for prayer and the famous Dervish whirling; sleeping chambers for devotees and residents; a reception room for the public; a harem for Dervish families; and a dining room with a kitchen.
The hospice played a social role, hosting travelers in need of food and shelter, and offering them a place to exercise their religious rituals and to freshen up. It was also a center for the development of thought, music and poetry in addition to the promotion of spirituality and worship. It remained in service until the early 1960s.
In 2010, Turkey sponsored its full restoration as part of a larger rehabilitation project that covered Ottoman landmarks in the region.